Friday 27 July 2012

My ACEOs, Collectable Art Cards...a new venture

When I first started to paint one of the driving forces was the desire to create something special and unique you can hold in your hands. Not just an image but a satisfying object to treasure. Recently I stumbled upon a little craze for collecting Artist Trading Cards - they are known as ACEOs or ATCs to the cognoscenti. They are only 2.5 x 3.5 inches and are collected and traded by all sorts of people.
Now over the past few years I have had a bit of a tendency to think in terms of really large pictures but all of a sudden, with a bit of influence admittedly from gaining full understanding of shipping costs - small is beautiful! I really really want to make some of these cards! So I have been preparing with all the fervour of new obsession and have just taken the first batch to the printers to collect tomorrow.

I have made some from details from paintings like Island and Northern Lights. I'll be offering straight off glossy prints, handpainted prints on canvas (this is where I make a print from my work and handpaint over it to create an 'almost reproduction' each with individual unique features), and as soon as I have all this organised I will make some original one-off ACEO-sized paintings.

I managed to source all the materials I need here in Greece (well the polypropylene pockets have come from Cyprus) which pleased me a lot. I am blessed with an amazing printer who is so helpful and encouraging even of my smallest project and a lady called Margarita in Syros's new frame shop who cut all the black mat passe partout cards for me - I am sooo pleased with them!

Here are a few examples of the new cards. Do please message me if you would like to order - prices will be very low with discounts for buying several at a time - I'll be venturing onto Ebay and Etsy for the first time with some trepidation once I have figured out postage costs and the like.

Detail from Island

Detail from Island 

I'll be featuring most of my images in this new format and will soon add a selection of other small prints - 4x4, 5x7, 8x ll in and so on. I've made some lovely little certificates which I can sign and each one will have be an exclusive item. More news soon.
Detail from Northern Lights